‘everything is so amazing, but nobody is happy’

(Video link here.) This clip of the the comedian Louis C.K. riffing on Conan O’Brien’s show is a rare combination of REALLY funny and totally wise/smart/true. It is about looking around at what we have, recognizing miracles, counting blessings… (Skip ahead to 2:00 to find this juicy clip which has been taken down by the network…and STOP at abou 4:00 to avoid the yakky geeks.)

via the Technium, part Kevin Kelly’s vast and amazing site.

8 Responses to ‘everything is so amazing, but nobody is happy’

1. Anthony Giglio 12.17.2009 at 7:28am #

I am happy, Sally! Happy to have you and your daily reminders in my life — among the many blessings I count (almost) every day!

2. Kim Sykes 12.17.2009 at 12:53pm #

I remember the rotary phone and when there were no computers in the classrooms. A lot has happened in my lifetime…nearly 40 years and I can’t wait for the next 40! Life is great and I am incredibly happy to be part of this amazing inventive, ingenious little planet.

3. Sally 12.17.2009 at 9:57pm #

I am really happy too. This blog which keeps me up to all hours makes me happy because of the community that is sprouting around it: AMAZING people. And because of the stuff I learn about and get to be part of everyday… And all the invention going on…is so FAT and beautiful!

4. Jacqueline 12.18.2009 at 1:17pm #

I discovered your blog recently and love it. (Though this pale, gray type is WAY too hard for my 40+ eyeballs to read!!)

I love this clip too, and recall a trick we played on my niece (21) and her BF 20 something. We rang our mobile phone on the antique rotary phone ringer style. I said “Hey guys, can you guess what that sound is?” The closest they could come was “a school bell? but where, why…?”

I then promptly asked myself why exactly, did I need such vivid confirmation that I’m old as dirt?

Thanks for a good job and the heads up on this link. Please make this more readable!

5. Sally 12.18.2009 at 1:27pm #

Hi Jacqueline, Thank you so much for writing. I am so happy to hear you love the blog. It is amazing to realize that younger kids have no idea of what certain things are that we grew up with. Yikes!
    I am concerned about your description of “pale, gray type”. In our design files, the gray is quite dark. Part of the difficulty in designing is that everyones monitor and color readings are different. But I’m wondering about your monitor settings, and if things appear pale on other sites. Sometimes shifting the angle of the computer screen can help in seeing truer colors too. This is the first complaint we’ve had about the type color, so it’s hard to gauge if it’s happening more widely.

6. constance 12.20.2009 at 2:56pm #

I love this clip. SO funny and to the point.

7. Deborah 05.20.2011 at 7:57pm #

I agree with Sally — I love this site, but the type is REALLY difficult to read.., gray,small. But I feel silly complaining…………since everything else is amazing!

8. Sally 05.20.2011 at 9:21pm #

HA.

Just in case: Have you tried making your browser page bigger?