design flaw? bigger-than-the-mattress platforms for beds

Cathy Grunfeld

Design blogs and magazines love to feature chic beds where the platform base is quite a bit bigger than the mattress, making them look wonderfully architectural and modern. We discovered that the REALITY of these beds is that when we get in or out of them (or on or off), we scrape our shins on the hard edge of platform…unless we remember to stretch our legs way out to miss the edge (too much work for a sleepy person). We’ve added it to our mental file of design whose good looks belie what it’s like to actually use it.

An essential part of our d-i-y design process is trying to imagine using our design, even to the point of play-acting to figure out how our idea will work.  Every time we see one of these beds, we go “Ouch!”

What do you think?

via French by Design

10 Responses to design flaw? bigger-than-the-mattress platforms for beds

1. nameKarin koller webb 04.11.2011 at 7:53pm #

This bed is not appealing to me as I like a bit more height. The only time I’v seen this type of platform work was when I first met my husband and he made a similar bed and then upholstered the entire thing with carpeting. It was lovely and functional. No bruises!

2. Steve 04.11.2011 at 10:22pm #

I think ouch, too. But if the bed frame can support the weight of a person it would be a handy place to sit while putting your shoes on.

3. Sarah 04.11.2011 at 11:11pm #

My shins and I agree 100%. Plus, I like my beds high so I can store things beneath them.

4. Jocelyn 04.11.2011 at 11:20pm #

I recently updated my platform bed’s mattress to match the size of the footprint. Previously,the mattress was undersized.

What I find myself missing is the built in bedside table that extra bit of ledge poking out offered. It was the perfect place for my book, ear plugs, chapstick, and my glasses. Everything was at my fingertips. Now I have to lean way over to reach my bedside table, often stretching the covers with me, off of my dozing mate.

Oddly we never had “ouch” problems with the smaller sized mattress. But our platform bed is very tall- not an ankle biter like pictured above.

5. sara 04.12.2011 at 12:55am #

I go ouch too! I think they look awesome, in photographs. But how many bruises would I endure, first thing in the morning, before remembering. And what a leap I would have to take to crash dive onto the bed in the evening.

6. Cassie 04.12.2011 at 1:04am #

Oh my god, 100 times yes.

7. Paula 04.12.2011 at 7:29am #

Um, yeah! Sometimes furniture design is too much about look and not enough about function. I remember the sky high beds with overstuffed mattresses from the 90s (how do you get down? they actually sold little steps to match the beds!) And some of the lounge couches of the last few years are so wide and low that either my legs stick out in front of me when I “sit” back against the couch back or when I sit forward, it looks like I’m crouching over an outhouse hole Not really comfortable. But fashionable and expensive.

8. Sally 04.12.2011 at 9:17am #

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Jbal 05.08.2011 at 2:42am #

We had a bed like this and it was very comfy, and looked great, but we definitely hit our shins on it more than once. I have a very distinct, funny memory of our midwife cursing at it during our homebirth, too.

10. Jacie 05.13.2013 at 12:34pm #

I’m just wondering where I could find a mattress like this? I’m not looking for a formal mattress, something a little different.