Charlotte, Daniel, Olivia, Josephine, Ana, Dylan, Madeline, Catherine, Chase, Jesse, James, Grace, Emilie, Jack, Noah, Caroline, Jessica, Benjamin, Avielle, Allison…
When President Obama said those names aloud today during his moving speech at Newtown, our hearts broke, again.
We found ourselves comforted by the words-gone-viral of kindly old Fred Rogers —Mr. Rogers — advocate and true friend of children for eons. It is our experience that there are indeed helpers all around, and that in each moment, there is the possibility of light, unimaginable perhaps, until it appears.
The news is full of reports of helpers, reaching out to Newtown and its families, sending counsel, food, prayers… bearing witness, focusing love. We know that Love Heals. So perhaps that is the first and biggest thing we can remember to do: love.
Another is to take political action, “make noise” as the great Manhattan User’s Guide suggested today, letting our representatives know that we demand serious restrictions on assault weapons and large capacity clips. Here are some ways to do that much, NOW:
‣ Demand a Plan from President Obama.
‣ Tell your Senators and Representatives what you think.
‣ Andrew Cuomo: you want to run for President in 2016? Don’t just raise lower the state flags to half-staff. Show some political courage… Tell the Governor@NYGovCuomo to lead on this issue. And hold him to his promise on microstamping.
‣ Support the The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
‣ Tell Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy that you support her work on this issue. She became a Congresswoman after her husband was killed by a deranged gunman on the Long Island Railroad, and son, severely wounded, asked “How could this happen?”
Related posts: emergency medicine
what is the most powerful word in the english language?
bathroom read: john cage’s “a year from monday”
a reminder, via anne herbert (open doors!)
healing worry (via anne herbert)
anne herbert’s wise + teeny meditations
fling and be flung (jackson pollock)