James Brown’s Wakeup Call: Get Up and Do Your Thing

The magnificient James Brown’s soulful groovin’ mantra,

I WANT TO GET UP AND DO MY THING!

seems like the perfect way to get going on a Monday (or any) morning…(Video link HERE.)

MOVIN!

DOIN’ IT!

YOU KNOW,

GET UP

GET UP

GET ON UP!

Italy 1971

8 Responses to James Brown’s Wakeup Call: Get Up and Do Your Thing

1. Carla 03.03.2014 at 9:06am #

Two reactions to James Brown’s Get on Up! 1–that it did prod me to put down the sudoku and get off the couch! Yay! and 2- Are we EVER going to get to the point where it’s not ok for all the good roles (the ones you notice, the ones that let you express yourself, the ones that pay the bills) to go to men and all the less-good roles (the ones where you notice only the body and not the whole person, the ones where your voice isn’t heard, the ones that don’t pay enough) to go to women?
    Is anyone else tired of how often things are split like that?

2. David Noble 03.03.2014 at 2:35pm #

The Godfather of Soul. The Hardest Workin’ Man in Show Business. Mr. Dynamite. Good God! Hunhhh! Can’t stand myself! Hunhhh!

Loosen up, Carla, and shake your groove thing. Lighten up, Baybeh, and twerk!

3. David Noble 03.03.2014 at 3:01pm #

James Brown! The Hardest-Workin’ Man in Show Business. The Godfather of Soul. Mr. Dynamite. Good God! Hunhhh! Can’t stand myself! Hunhhh!

Carla is right. All the good roles go to men. It’s not fair. James Brown is not enlightened about important social issues. He’s primitive. I, for one, am tired of “how things are split like that.” Women are more than just bodies and they’re not paid enough either!

4. David Noble 03.03.2014 at 11:52pm #

I left a comment earlier today, but it lacked Carla’s standard, knee-jerk woman-as-victim tone and was disallowed by Sally’s censor. It’s clear there isn’t much room for someone like James Brown in Carla’s world.

5. Sally 03.04.2014 at 8:06pm #

I hear what you’re saying but DIDN’T take those questions away at all from James Browns groove. Later on the original video (which I excerpted) he yells: “Do you feel like you got your heart together?!” THAT’S a question!

6. Sally 03.04.2014 at 8:08pm #

I know from experience that if I try to shut you up, you’ll pop up somewhere else…Here’s a man who like to RILE people.

7. David Noble 03.04.2014 at 10:41pm #

Darling I’m embarrassed. Please pick one and erase all the others.

8. Sally 03.05.2014 at 3:55pm #