The Way to Start a Day

At our Little Free Library we came across a kid’s book called The Way to Start A Day, something we think about a lot. It’s about the many ways different peoples celebrate and honor a new day to set the right tone in their lives. It offers fine advice no matter what age you are.

Some people

…and greet the sun
with some kind of
blessing
or chant
or song
that you made yourself…

We welcome the day by NOT checking devices right away, but rather, reading something that heartens us, reminds us of blessings we have, douses us in beauty, wakes us to possibility…

… like this just-right poem by Jana Prikryl, our new favorite poet. A friend read it to us not more than 10 minutes after we found The Way to Start A Day. Perfect synchronicity!  It’s from her new book, The After Party.

The pines absorb the night, its themes and fabrics,
a lowering of blinds within blinds and glances perceiving glances,

till nothing of night remains in the air and the sky begins to demonstrate
again its essential property of flaring from all quarters

and all morning the pines sparely with a kind of jealous, pointed
attention unleash their reserves, granting each hour

before noon its cool underpinning and each pine
the work of expressing its individual silence

And in this way, we greet the day.

9 Responses to The Way to Start a Day

1. Mary Anderson Griffin 08.02.2016 at 8:05am #

It is the 2nd day in August, and I have been told by you that I have already gone over my five free views this month. What gives?!? Also, I have mentioned this to friends who say that they have never run into this. Frustrating.

2. Sally Schneider 08.02.2016 at 8:42am #

Hi, You get 5 free reads per 30 days, not per calendar month. So if you’ve been reading since early in July, your reads may be over. Please let me know when you started reading so I can make sure nothing is awry.

3. RLT 08.02.2016 at 10:49am #

To offset the first negative response, I say BEAUTIFUL to this post. The sun is shining on me right now on what could be a stressful day. I choose to welcome it and make a good day for it. Thank you.

4. Sally Schneider 08.02.2016 at 10:58am #

Thank you for SHOWING a great, simple shift of focus.

5. Kathy Hooke 08.02.2016 at 11:27am #

Hi Sally, I thought I was a subscriber but have been cut off from access. Do I need to resubscribe?

Love your blog & don’t want to miss it. Thanks –

Kathy

6. Catbird Farm 08.02.2016 at 11:28am #

Yes! A wonderful message to start afresh each morning. Such an opportunity! Thank you for the reminder, Sally.

To the first commenter, might I gently suggest that, given your (understandably) enthusiastic reading of IL each month, perhaps you might consider a Tiny Pass subscription? It’s a mere $1.50 per month I believe, and then you can read to your heart’s content and dig deep into the wonderful archives. And for your clever friends who also read IL, what a perfect gift a subscription might be!

–Catbird Farm

7. Sally Schneider 08.02.2016 at 9:21pm #

Hi Kathy, Yep, your subscribed through to March of 2017. THANK YOU!. But I’m sorry you’re locked out. It happens very occasionally due to caching issues/cookies and other things I don’t quite get. So here are some fixes. If you still can’t access Improvised Life, please email me at [email protected] and I will make sure we get help.

Sometimes the browser gets “stuck” in an outdated mode and needs help to see new info.

The simple fix for this is to refresh the sign-in browser page several times. That clears the old information and lets Tinypass recognize the new subscription.

If this doesn’t work, try emptying your browser’s cache, then refresh several times.

If the problem continues, go into your browser’s Preferences and chose “enable 3rd party cookies” in order to stay logged in. This usually solves 99% of these types of issues.

If you are STILL not able to log in from Improvised Life, try to log in through Piano/Tinypass.
    Go to dashboard.tinypass.com
    Enter your login details (email and password). You can reset your password here too.
    Once logged in: 1) click on the Improvised Life subscription image
    2) click on the “Open Launch your content in a new window”
    3) That’s it! You’re now logged in.

8. Jan 08.03.2016 at 8:44am #

This is is my Go-To site each morning. I start my day with your pearls of wisdom and advice. I think EVERYONE who partakes should become a Friend-With-Benefits. It is only right to give back.

9. Sally Schneider 08.03.2016 at 8:47am #

Thanks so that encouraging others to support Improvised Life. I really appreciate and can’t tell you how much your membership helps, not to mention your words and being there!