Gone to Navigate a Lesson in Impermanence (Pema Chodron)

Right now, my life feels like this George Booth cartoon. I need to take some time off, but I don’t imagine it will be “to relax a little”. Due to the tiniest hidden leak in my kitchen that did serious damage over several weeks, my wonderful painted plywood floors will be ripped out this morning. Then huge noisy machines will be left to dry the space out, encapsulated by Hazmat-like plastic containment walls with zippers.

In the scheme of things it’s a not-dire blip that will necessitate me finding creative ways to survive the cacophony and a packed-up kitchen, while dealing with insurance matters and researching repairs. (And I’m grateful still. I HAVE a place, and it will be fixed. Who knows what good will come of it?)

Yoko Ono / imaginepeace.com

But it will mean an upheaval to my hermetic, noise-sensitive, homebody self, and putting Improvised Life on hold while I figure out a noise-dampening rig that will allow me to sleep, among other necessary improvisations…

If need be, I’ll take refuge with friends. And always, in books opened at random offering big fat lessons…

We think that the point is to pass the test or overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don’t really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It’s just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy                  .—Pema Chodron

See you next Monday, fingers crossed.

10 Responses to Gone to Navigate a Lesson in Impermanence (Pema Chodron)

1. ellen rocco 08.13.2018 at 8:25am #

I will miss you but wish you all the time you need to make this truly a blip that goes away as quickly as possible. The quote you end with from Pema Chodron is one of the best yet! Take good care – I’ll be waiting for your return.

2. cydney 08.13.2018 at 10:05am #

Peace be with you and smooth recovery. Thank you for your lovely blog. It is my very favorite.

3. gayle ortiz 08.13.2018 at 10:26am #

May this be a much lighter experience than you imagine. Take care and thank you so, so much for your daily inspiration.

4. susan krebs 08.13.2018 at 1:35pm #

Your photo of your damaged plywood floors seems very Wabi Sabi to me!
    You’re gonna take care of yourself, one way or the other, sister!
    Things will come together again!

5. Sondra Newman 08.13.2018 at 2:01pm #

Water runs its course and changes our course. Best of luck to you during the next seven days.

6. Robin Gaither 08.13.2018 at 5:32pm #

Finding your floor ruined helped me feel better about my mess from a clogged downspout flooding inside an outside wall of my house. Mess feels like less when the misery is shared. Will miss you while you are elsewhere, but hope your time away proves beneficial somehow.

7. Sally Schneider 08.14.2018 at 10:10am #

To all who wrote me about the reality sandwiches that presented in the guise of ruined floors, THANK YOU SO MUCH. Each comment came as an email carrying seriously good energy and fortifying words: fuel and comfort for navigating the next week. Boy, do I feel blessed.

8. gallagher 08.14.2018 at 11:04am #

Sally, if it helps any,
    I’ve learned a BIG lesson,
    from your mis-fortunes(!).

I have stopped taking a leak in the kitchen(!),
    no matter how tiny!

(the wise learn from other’s mistakes. 😊)

Thanks.

9. Sandra H. 08.16.2018 at 9:34pm #

Breathe and give yourself the time you need to restore your energy and talent. I can wait for you!

10. Sally Schneider 08.20.2018 at 11:46am #

“I can wait for you!”. Thanks for your heartening words.